Feeling sad and unhappy from time to time is normal. We all go through ups and downs in reaction to life’s challenges. Depression is more than just feeling sad because something has happened or something has gone wrong. When feelings of despair and upset are so strong and won’t go away, it may be depression.
Depression varies from person to person, but there are some common symptoms:
- Feeling hopeless – nothing will ever get better
- Loss of interest in activities, friends, school, etc.
- Significant weight loss or weight gain
- Having strong feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Difficulty staying focused or making decisions
- Feeling angry and irritable, or aggressive
- Aches, pains, headaches, stomach problems
- Thinking negative thoughts
If you think that life is not worth living, seek help immediately.
The key to recovery is to ask for help. Let your family and friends know what you’re going through and tell them how they can support you. Reach out to others as depression worsens when you feel isolated. Click here for referral information and FIREFLY offices near you.