FIREFLY is a non-profit, charitable multi-service agency providing physical, emotional, developmental and community services for children, youth, adults and their families. Our offices are located in Atikokan, Dryden, Ear Falls, Fort Frances, Kenora, Red Lake and Sioux Lookout.
FIREFLY is seeking individuals interested in serving on our Board of Directors. The Board meets monthly either face-to-face or by teleconference. Travel is required for face-to-face Board and Committee meetings. The FIREFLY Board is seeking applicants living in the Kenora or Rainy River Districts.
FIREFLY Board Members are valued and celebrated volunteers who are committed to the well-being of children, youth, adults, families and communities. They share their time and expertise to govern FIREFLY. Please consider joining our team!
If you are interested or would like more information, please contact:
Lori Kutney at 223-8550 or 1-800-465-7203 ext. 3314 or email: [email protected]
September 21, 2013
FIREFLY is pleased to present Dr. Cathy Trower, Senior Researcher at the Harvard Graduate School of Education who will present a highly engaging and informative session on generative governance.
This one-day workshop will provide participants with leading governance knowledge and skills. Participants will learn about three ways of thinking and working while governing (fiduciary, strategic and generative) and how consequential governance allows directors to be deeply engaged, challenged intellectually, and positively impact the performance of their organizations.
Please refer to UPCOMING EVENTS tab for information regarding registration and cost.
As part of Children’s Mental Health Week, a free Teen Yoga Class was offered today at the Dryden High School with certified instructor, Carly Brown.
Raising Awareness. One in five children struggle with their mental health.
Check out the link for more information about this event: kenoraonline
FIREFLY Press Release
Children’s Mental Health Week May 5 – 11
FIREFLY is raising awareness of the importance of the mental health of children and youth. Mental health of our communities’ young people is essential to their growth and development. This week, FIREFLY staff across the district will be participating in local activities in support of children’s mental health, families and our communities.
- One in five children and youth under 19 struggles with a diagnosable, emotional, mental or behavioural disorder. These problems are painful, serious and very real. Of those struggling, only one in six now get the help they need.
- Mental Health problems can happen to any young perosn, regardless of age or circumstance and can affect youth as easily as any physical illness. There is no shame in recognizing need for treatment. Early intervention can provide a hopeful and healthy future for kids struggling with their mental health. Undiagnosed and untreated, children may suffer needlessly from conditions like anxiety, depression and eating disorders.
- TREATMENT WORKS
- If you or your family is experiencing mental health problems contact FIREFLY at 1-800-465-7203 or visit our website www.fireflynw.ca
- FIREFLY office locations: Dryden, Ear Falls, Kenora, Red Lake and Sioux Lookout.
- Take the FIREFLY Mental Health Wellness Challenge from May 5th – 11th and send us your pictures (Send your pictures to [email protected]).
FIREFLY invities everyone to participate in the FIREFLY Mental Health Wellness Challenge from May 5th – 11th
- Sit together for a family meal every day
- Go for a walk with your children
- Send an appreciative text message to your child
- Watch a movie together
- Plan and prepare a nutritious after school snack and family meal
- Hug your children every day
- Anonymously help a family in need
- Have a family game night
- Listen to your children’s favourite music
- Have a family picnic
- Go for a bike ride with your children
- Draw a fun family picture, write a fun family poem or sing a family song
- Read a book together
- Look at family pictures/photo albums/memory book
- Have a bonfire
- Fly a kite
- Go puddle jumping
- Help clean up your neighborhood/community
FIREFLY is a non-profit, charitable organization providing children’s mental health services across the Kenora District.
Contact: Janet Paterson, Acting Director – Children’s Mental Health 1-800-465-7203
Jackie Mitchell, FIREFLY Board Chair 807-937-5611